Skip to main content

1984 by George Orwell

(Source: Kelsey Darling)
This is my second time reading 1984. The first time was my senior year of high school for my term paper. At the time, I was in love with the book; I thought it was one of the greatest books ever written. When it was listed on my 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list, I was excited to read it again. This time, I wasn't as impressed. The writing is great, the plot is strong, but it didn't hold the magic it did all that time ago.

(Source: Google Image)
Winston Smith works for the Ministry of Truth, Minitru in Oceania, "correcting" documents so that they reflect the "truth." He goes through his day without thinking about much, he doesn't have to; Big Brother does all of the thinking. But Winston has vague memories of his childhood, and stories that his mother told him, it hasn't always been this way, and occasionally, he thinks of that and wonders what is was like before everything was decided for them. When Winston meets Julia, he slowly begins to rebel. But Big Brother sees all and knows all, and nothing gets past them for long, and they will make you conform. 

(Source: Other 98%)
1984 is pretty much what Kellyanne Conway is referring to when she says that our microwaves are watching us. Big Brother monitors everyone through telescreen's that are conveniently placed throughout buildings, homes, offices, and streets so that it is almost impossible for a person to do anything without Big Brother knowing. George Orwell is the creator of dystopia. 

Mind control is a big part of society. Big Brother is always watching you. Children are taught to turn in their parents. The past is edited to fit what Big Brother wants it to say. 

(Source: Giphy)
Winston and Julia rebel for a time being, meeting up at random locations to engage in pleasurable sex (because in 1984, a woman should not receive pleasure from sex, or in laments terms, no orgasm) and fantasize about running away to Eurasia or Eastasia. But they are eventually captured. Instead of Big Brother killing them though, they are tortured. We don't know what Julia went through, but Winston was left to starve for stars knows how long, then taken to a room, beaten, other forms of torture, and then coddled and taken care of, only to be tortured again. In the end, he confesses to things he didn't do, believes that two plus two equals five, and turns on Julia. And then he is returned to the real world.

It's a very unique, and scary, idea. When the book was written in 1949, the ideas in these books seemed possible, but unlikely. With today's technologies, some of the things that happen in the book are plausible to a degree. 

I'm not sure why I didn't find the book as great this time around. Maybe reading a dystopia novel that is so realistic during the Trump administration was too much.

(Source: Other 98%)

Rating: 6/10
Genres: Dystopia, Science Fiction, Classics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace

Oh my goodness! I am not one who reads a lot of poetry; yes, I have a few favorite poems, but it's not what I usually spend my time reading. I don't remember where I heard about this book. It might have been an article or a friend read it, but it somehow made it's way onto my To Be Read list, and when I was looking through it the other day, I saw it and decided I would buy it, but didn't have any intention to read it right away because right now, my currently reading stack is getting a bit ridiculous. But last night, I didn't feel like reading any of my current books, so I picked it up and I was in love.


Why This Book is Amazing

Because this book is poetry, I can't use my usual format with other reviews. But with this book, I'm okay with that because it fits the theme of the book.
The Princess Saves Herself in This One is told in 4 parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen, and you. Each part represents a piece of Amanda Lovelace's life and the things th…

You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero

I was really excited for this book. I have the day-by-day calendar and I love it. It's posts are quick and witty and there's a bonus on the back of every day that tells you something interesting, or is a little puzzle, or something to get you thinking. It's great. The book version was...a let down, for a few reasons.


How Not To
So yeah, I get how repetition is good in a self help book, but this was a bit too much. If I never hear any of these phrases again, it'll be too soon: subconscious mind, conscious mind, love yourself, change your thinking, become aware. Almost every chapter contains a list of what you're supposed to do to realize that you are a badass, and every list contains all of those in some form or another. By about chapter 6, I got it.There are a lot of "I" statements, and not the kind that instruct you to change how you structure your thoughts (those are there, too, just not as much). You Are a Badass is an autobiography of Jen Sincero's

The Leaving by Tara Altebrando

I discovered The Leaving in an article about the best young adult books being released in June and after reading the synopsis, I went to Amazon and purchased it. When it arrived, I started reading it right away, even though I currently have 3 other books I'm reading; I needed to read this ASAP. I finished it in a day, and it's been a long time since I've done that with a book. This book is definitely on my must read list! I will be recommending this to everyone!



Five Sentence Summary
On the first day of kindergarten, 6 children go missing: Max, Scarlett, Lucas, Kristen, Sarah, and Adam. Now, 11 years later, they show up again, only Max isn't with them, and they have no memory of the last 11 years or who Max is. The novel switches between Scarlett, Lucas, and Avery, Max's younger sister, as they try to discover who they are, who took them, and where Max is. The majority of the novel takes place in the first 9 days (Day Zero to Day Eight) of the children returning fro…