Skip to main content

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling

I always have mixed feelings about Chamber of Secrets and I'm never certain why. I mean, it's good, a lot of stuff happens, but for me, it's always just kinda there. Like, you need it to advance to the next book, but that's about it.

(Source: Google Image)
That being said, it's still an awesome book and this is why:

  • Gilderoy Lockhart is a hoot! I think he could give Greek god Narcissus a run for his money in the vanity department. I mean, everything he says is so ridiculous, it's hard to think that people fell for all of his lies. The only thing better than a vain Gilderoy Lockhart is a Gilderoy Lockhart whose Obliviate curse just back fired on him and no longer knows his left hand from his right. 
(Source: Giphy)
  • The Death Day Party. If I was a ghost, I would definitely celebrate my death day! I love that they purposely rot food in hopes of being able to taste it. But Nearly Headless Nick needs to learn he is much too good for the Headless Hunt. I feel bad that they take away his glory at that party, and that he is continuously rejected to join; he's a very sweet ghost. I've always wondered, though, if it were somehow possible to completely behead Nick so that he could join. I mean, if you're going to spend the rest of your life dead, I'm sure you'd want something more to do.
  • I love that Percy has a secret relationship with Penelope Clearwater. I remember the first time I read it and didn't see that coming; I really thought he had something to do with the Chamber. But now, it's so obvious, it's cute. I mean, he turns into a total ass in Order of the Phoenix, but it's nice to see that even dorky Percy has a soft side.
(Source: Google Image)
  • Ginny is adorable! I love her crush on Harry. And I love that in book 6, Harry is finally crushing on her while she's off breaking hearts. Ginny develops a stronger sense of self throughout the series, but I love it when she's so innocent; really, when all of them are so innocent. You know, before Voldemort becomes a more prominent figure in everyone lives and everyone has to worry about dying and whatnot. I mean, when you look back, getting into the Chamber and destroying the Basilisk is pretty easy compared to all of their other trials. Wow, that really went off topic. But yeah, Ginny is such a sweetie.
  • Mr. Weasley getting into a little scuff with Lucius Malfoy: priceless! 
  • The introduction of Dobby! This is probably the best part! Anyone who doesn't love Dobby doesn't have a soul because he is so freakum adorable! I love him so much, I pretend he doesn't actually die in book 7 because that would just kill me and I can't handle that. 
(Source: Giphy)
  • Tom preserving himself in the journal and how all of that unfolds is genius! And what I find the most fascinating is that if Mr. Weasley hadn't let Ginny go back and get the diary, that could have changed everything! I mean, he really got lucky that it fell into the hands of someone so close to Harry, and then ended up being in Harry's possession. That is pure luck!
I could definitely do without the spiders; the thought of all of those spiders gives me the ebby jebbies. I definitely agree that it should have been "follow the butterflies."

Chamber of Secrets definitely helps set up the next books, especially Half-Blood Prince, when you learn about the horcruxes. And, it's the book before my most favorite book of all time-Prisoner of Azkaban!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make Me Read It Read-a-Thon!

So on Goodreads, I have seen all of these people asking what they should read for "Make Me Read It." Naturally, I was intrigued, but wasn't finding any info on it on Goodreads. Thank god for Google! It led me to The Innocent Smiley, a blog run by Val, who partners with Ely (Tea & Titles) who started the read-a-thon last year and decided to do it again this year.



How It Works
Look at the books you own, either physical, e-book, or ones you've borrowed from the library and pick out a few you really want to read, or feel like you should read. It's up to you how many you pick.
Make a list of these books and then have friends, family, and other bibliophiles pick which ones you HAVE to read. Use the tag #MakeMeRead on social media!
The books with the most votes is read first, the book with the second most votes is read next, etc. If there is a tie between books, it's your personal preference of which you read first.

When Does it Take Place?
The Read-a-Thon takes p…

Modern Lovers by Emma Straub

Modern Lovers was the first book I received from my Book of the Month Club. I was so excited when I saw that it was one of the books for this month, because I had hoped it would have been selected for another book club I am a part of, but it wasn't. The cover intrigued me, the way Morgan Jerkins described it sold me, I knew I needed to read this book. However, upon finishing the book, I feel like I have been let down. I feel like there was so many places this book could have gone, and yet, I felt like I was reading a story about what could have been anybodies life.


Five Sentence Summary
In college, Elizabeth, Andrew and Zoe were in band, Kitty's Mustache, along with another girl, Lydia, who left the band and made a name for herself, before dying at an early age. Now, Elizabeth and Andrew are married and have a son Harry, and Zoe has married Jane, and they have a daughter named Ruby, and a producer is asking them to sign over their life rights so they can make a movie about Lydi…

The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace

Oh my goodness! I am not one who reads a lot of poetry; yes, I have a few favorite poems, but it's not what I usually spend my time reading. I don't remember where I heard about this book. It might have been an article or a friend read it, but it somehow made it's way onto my To Be Read list, and when I was looking through it the other day, I saw it and decided I would buy it, but didn't have any intention to read it right away because right now, my currently reading stack is getting a bit ridiculous. But last night, I didn't feel like reading any of my current books, so I picked it up and I was in love.


Why This Book is Amazing

Because this book is poetry, I can't use my usual format with other reviews. But with this book, I'm okay with that because it fits the theme of the book.
The Princess Saves Herself in This One is told in 4 parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen, and you. Each part represents a piece of Amanda Lovelace's life and the things th…