Skip to main content

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None is one of my most favorite novels. I have read it countless times and every time it's like reading it for the first time. Although I haven't read any of Christie's other novels, but I can only imagine they are just as thrilling. For me, this book has everything that a mystery needs.

(Source: Kelsey Darling)

A Dossier of Sorts

Ten strangers are invited to Soldier Island, all under false pretenses: Mr. Justice Wargrave, Vera Claythorne, Captain Phillip Lombard, Emily Brent, General Macarthur, Dr. Armstrong, Tony Marston, and Mr. and Mrs. Rogers. Although they all seem like ordinary people, they aren't a bunch you would normally see together. 

(Source: Google)
On the first night, a record begins to mysteriously play, accusing each of them of murder. Instantly, panic ensues between the group of strangers. The group begins to discuss the reasons they have all come to the island; none of the reasons are the same; however, they are all signed U.N. Owen, or Unknown. They all look at each other accusingly as they plead their innocence of the crimes the voice has accused them of, that is until Marston takes a drink of whiskey and falls to the floor dead.

(Source: Giphy)
Throughout the course of the weekend, slowly but surely, the rest of our party is killed, and all deaths follow the theme of the "Ten Little Soldier Boys" nursery rhyme. They have searched the house and the island; they know that they are the only people on the island. Each person has been searched, along with their rooms. There are absolutely no clues to who is behind these gruesome murders. Sadly, none of them will get any answers, or off the island.

(Source: Google)

How to Get Away With Murder

  • In every single mystery/thriller/suspense novel or movie, I have always been able to figure out who the bad guy is. This book keeps you guessing until you read the letter the murderer has written confessing their story and motives.

  • The "Ten Little Soldier Boys" poem has totally ruined nursery rhymes for me. 
"Ten little soldier boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little soldier boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little soldier boys travelling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little soldier boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little soldier boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little soldier boys going in for law;
One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little soldier boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little soldier boys walking in the Zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two little soldier boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there were was one.

One little soldier boy left all alone;
He went and hanged himself

And then there were non." (pp. 28-29)

  • This book definitely shows you a different side of people. Not only do you learn that all of these people had a hand in someone's death, although of varying degrees, it also shows you how people behave when trapped.
  • This book is a total mind-bender. Every time you think you know who it is, they are killed. Every time you think there has to be someone else on the island, they do a search of it and prove you wrong. 
(Source: Giphy)
I've always loved re-reading this book. Other books I re-read for the feelings it gave me; I re-read this book for the mystery. Every time I pick it up, I find a clue I didn't notice last time. My copy of the book is very well loved; the spine torn and cover curling, the pages soften from multiple uses, the smell of a book that has trapped a memory of previous readings. This book is perfect.

Rating: 10/10
Genres: Mystery, Classics, Fiction

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero

I was really excited for this book. I have the day-by-day calendar and I love it. It's posts are quick and witty and there's a bonus on the back of every day that tells you something interesting, or is a little puzzle, or something to get you thinking. It's great. The book version was...a let down, for a few reasons.


How Not To
So yeah, I get how repetition is good in a self help book, but this was a bit too much. If I never hear any of these phrases again, it'll be too soon: subconscious mind, conscious mind, love yourself, change your thinking, become aware. Almost every chapter contains a list of what you're supposed to do to realize that you are a badass, and every list contains all of those in some form or another. By about chapter 6, I got it.There are a lot of "I" statements, and not the kind that instruct you to change how you structure your thoughts (those are there, too, just not as much). You Are a Badass is an autobiography of Jen Sincero's

Black Obsidian by Victoria Quinn

When I first started this review, I wasn't really sure what I was going to write, but then as I started thinking about it, I really did not like the book. This is why:

It's your typical toned down erotica novel; it's a carbon copy of Fifty Shades, just with different names. I feel like it started out strong, but once Calloway starts falling for this girl who "won't understand his lifestyle," it went downhill fast.I am so sick of rich men using their means to track down this one girl. It's creepy. If some man did that to me, I'd be filing a restraining order, not crawling into bed with him.I am also sick of the man trying to control every aspect of the woman's life before they have signed a contract. Calloway, you are Rome's boyfriend, not her Dom; you can't buy her a house because her apartment was broken into. Again, restraining order, not bed. And even when there's a contract between a Dom and a sub, there are soft and hard limits, a…

Good as Gone by Amy Gentry

Good as Gone is a Book of the Month Club book that has been sitting on my shelf for a little, like most of my books do before being read. However, I am glad that I waited to read it, as right now I'm in one of my mystery/suspense moods.
Eight years ago, in the middle of the night. Jane watcher her older sister Julie be kidnapped from her room at knife point. That was the last to be seen of Julie. Now, it is present day. Jane is in college, and her parents have formed a life around the void of their missing daughter. Of course it is not the same, how could it be; but it is a life nonetheless. Then, one evening as they are sitting down for dinner, the doorbell rings, and who should be at the door other than...drum roll...Julie! She passes out upon her mother opening the door and they rush her to the hospital. When Julie sits down with detectives, she tells a harrowing story of being sold to drug lords and sex traffickers and the years of abuse she faced at the hands of her captor; h…