Skip to main content

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

I read The 5th Wave earlier this year, in February or March, because I wanted to read it before the movie came out, which I ended up not seeing. Usually, I don't re-read books so soon after reading them the first time, but since The Last Star came out last month, and I didn't remember much of the first book, and pretty much nothing of the second book, I decided it couldn't hurt to do a quick power read of them. Once I started reading, I remembered more than what I thought, but there were also some parts I had completely forgotten.

(Credit: Kelsey Darling)


Five Sentence Summary

It's the end of the world; aliens have invaded our world and they are taking us out. Cassie Sullivan watched her mother die a slow, painful death; then her brother was taken by the others who have disguised themselves as humans; then her father was brutally murdered; now she is trying to make her way to her brother so she can keep the only promise that matters. Evan Walker finds Cassie on the brink of death, bleeding out in a car, but he helps bring her back to life; but Evan is hiding a secret that Cassie can't put her finger on. Ben "Zombie" Parish is a boy from Cassie's school who has been rescued by the military and is being trained to take down the infected, but when he is sent on a mission to take out teds, he learns that the "good" guys may not be as good as he thought. While the three of them navigate this new world in search of the truth, you learn to not trust anyone, no matter what they tell you.

Commentary

Reading this for a second time was interesting. I already knew the big secret, that some of the humans are actually aliens, that they have taken over our bodies and minds. I also knew that everyone's lovable rescuer, Evan, is actually one of them, but after falling in love for Cassie, he changes sides. So this time around, I wasn't as paranoid as I was the first time. That did take a little of the fun out of it.

The second time around, I noticed some smaller details that I didn't notice the first time around. One thing I noticed was that as much as Cassie says she is careful and doesn't trust anyone, that's not always the case. I mean, she talks about how she doesn't trust Evan, but she never does anything about it except worry. Yes, he turns out to be a good guy, but when the hair on the back of your neck stands up, which she says happens a lot, you need to run.

Yancey also uses a lot of graphic wording when describing the surroundings, peoples deaths, etc. I mean, it makes sense, seeing as we are in a post-apocalyptic world, but this time I noticed how negative the wording is. It makes me love Yancey more as a writer.

All in all, the book is still really good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first time, and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I knew how it was going to play out.

(Credit: Someecards.com)


Rating: 8/10
Pages: 457 (paperback)
Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero

I was really excited for this book. I have the day-by-day calendar and I love it. It's posts are quick and witty and there's a bonus on the back of every day that tells you something interesting, or is a little puzzle, or something to get you thinking. It's great. The book version was...a let down, for a few reasons.


How Not To
So yeah, I get how repetition is good in a self help book, but this was a bit too much. If I never hear any of these phrases again, it'll be too soon: subconscious mind, conscious mind, love yourself, change your thinking, become aware. Almost every chapter contains a list of what you're supposed to do to realize that you are a badass, and every list contains all of those in some form or another. By about chapter 6, I got it.There are a lot of "I" statements, and not the kind that instruct you to change how you structure your thoughts (those are there, too, just not as much). You Are a Badass is an autobiography of Jen Sincero's

Black Obsidian by Victoria Quinn

When I first started this review, I wasn't really sure what I was going to write, but then as I started thinking about it, I really did not like the book. This is why:

It's your typical toned down erotica novel; it's a carbon copy of Fifty Shades, just with different names. I feel like it started out strong, but once Calloway starts falling for this girl who "won't understand his lifestyle," it went downhill fast.I am so sick of rich men using their means to track down this one girl. It's creepy. If some man did that to me, I'd be filing a restraining order, not crawling into bed with him.I am also sick of the man trying to control every aspect of the woman's life before they have signed a contract. Calloway, you are Rome's boyfriend, not her Dom; you can't buy her a house because her apartment was broken into. Again, restraining order, not bed. And even when there's a contract between a Dom and a sub, there are soft and hard limits, a…

Good as Gone by Amy Gentry

Good as Gone is a Book of the Month Club book that has been sitting on my shelf for a little, like most of my books do before being read. However, I am glad that I waited to read it, as right now I'm in one of my mystery/suspense moods.
Eight years ago, in the middle of the night. Jane watcher her older sister Julie be kidnapped from her room at knife point. That was the last to be seen of Julie. Now, it is present day. Jane is in college, and her parents have formed a life around the void of their missing daughter. Of course it is not the same, how could it be; but it is a life nonetheless. Then, one evening as they are sitting down for dinner, the doorbell rings, and who should be at the door other than...drum roll...Julie! She passes out upon her mother opening the door and they rush her to the hospital. When Julie sits down with detectives, she tells a harrowing story of being sold to drug lords and sex traffickers and the years of abuse she faced at the hands of her captor; h…