Skip to main content

After You by Jojo Moyes

I was uncertain of how I would feel about After Me, seeing as Me Before You was an extremely good novel and it ended on a pretty good note (not that I say the death of Will was good). I just wasn't certain of where it was going to go. Luckily, my uncertainty was uncalled for. In fact, I cried! Which, in case you don't remember, I didn't cry for Me Before You.



Five Sentence Summary

It has been 18 months since Will's death and Louisa Clark has not accomplished anything she told Will she would. Yes, she has traveled, bought clothes, had a few flings; but now, she is in a London flat that she hasn't decorated, working at a pathetic airport bar and has no friends. One night after work, she has had a few drinks and is hanging out on the roof of her flat when she falls two stories and now enters paramedic Sam, who becomes an integral part of Lou's life. If falling from a roof isn't enough drama for Louisa's life, a young girl, Lily, finds Louisa and tells her that she is Will's child. Between Sam, Lily, and her embarrassing job, Lou figures out exactly what she wants in life, through trial and error of course.

What I Liked
  • I liked seeing where everyone was, how Will's death effected everyone's lives. Yes, it was briefly touched on at the end of Me Before You, but that was the immediate after effects. I always wonder what happens to my favorite customers afterwards. Although now I wonder what is going to happen to everyone now.
  • Although I have never lost someone like Lou lost Will, her reactions (for the most part) felt completely realistic.
  • The story was cute. There were lots of little bits where I found myself laughing.
"He rubbed at his hair. 'Are we still talking about Jake?'
'Of course I'm talking about Jake. How many other son's have you got?'
'Jake isn't my son.'
I stared at him.
'Jake is my sister's son. Was,' he corrected himself. 'He's my nephew." (p. 199)



What I Didn't Like
  • If you are a normal person, how many brushes of death do you have in your life? I can think of 1 incident in my 25 years of life where I was scared. Lou is part of Will's death, then almost dies herself, and then Sam almost dies. This isn't real life! Unless you are in the military or are a police officer/firefighter/or some other put-your-life-on-the-line kind of job, that doesn't happen. If I was Lou, I would be seriously considering what I am doing to put myself through all of this craziness.
  • So Lily is Will's daughter and looks like him in some ways and has some of his mannerisms, but no one decided to do a paternity test? The Trainor's come from money. I would definitely be wondering if it was just someone out trying to get what they can from me. 
  • Patrick is still a tosser for the few minutes he is in the book.
  • If Richard was a real person, he wouldn't have so quickly been like "You're right, I'm a jerk and it's because my life is falling apart and I hate myself." I have know enough Richards to know that when you tell them they're being an asshole, they don't admit their fault. I'm sorry, but for me, that was the most unbelievable part of the entire book.
"The Shamrock and Clover. It's a horrible place. And I know I've not been the greatest to work for...My wife hates me because I'm never home. The supplier hate me because I have to cut their margins every single week because of pressure from shareholders...I hate managing people. I have the social skills of a lamppost, which is why I can't hang on to anyone." (p.269)
  • This family has some serious issues they need to work though. In both books, everyone throws hissy fits and doesn't talk to each other for whatever petty reason for days, weeks, and even months.
Overall Thoughts

It's nice to every now and then read a happy story. Yes, there was a lot of drama in it, but I feel like everything I've been reading lately is people fighting for their lives or fighting to save the world from eminent destruction; so it's nice for once that everything is wrapped up with a pretty bow and everyone is okay and happy by the time the book is over.

I feel like because this one wasn't revolving around the probable death of one of the main characters, I enjoyed it a lot more than Me Before You. In the first one, I was pretty positive that Will was going to die, so I didn't let myself fall in love with him. In this one, I didn't think anyone was going to die, so I let myself get attached and really fell for Sam. It's books like this that bring out the romantic in me and believe that love is possible. Thank you Jojo!



Rating: 9/10
Pages: 352 (hardback)
Genres: Fiction, Romance, Chick Lit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero

I was really excited for this book. I have the day-by-day calendar and I love it. It's posts are quick and witty and there's a bonus on the back of every day that tells you something interesting, or is a little puzzle, or something to get you thinking. It's great. The book version was...a let down, for a few reasons.


How Not To
So yeah, I get how repetition is good in a self help book, but this was a bit too much. If I never hear any of these phrases again, it'll be too soon: subconscious mind, conscious mind, love yourself, change your thinking, become aware. Almost every chapter contains a list of what you're supposed to do to realize that you are a badass, and every list contains all of those in some form or another. By about chapter 6, I got it.There are a lot of "I" statements, and not the kind that instruct you to change how you structure your thoughts (those are there, too, just not as much). You Are a Badass is an autobiography of Jen Sincero's

Black Obsidian by Victoria Quinn

When I first started this review, I wasn't really sure what I was going to write, but then as I started thinking about it, I really did not like the book. This is why:

It's your typical toned down erotica novel; it's a carbon copy of Fifty Shades, just with different names. I feel like it started out strong, but once Calloway starts falling for this girl who "won't understand his lifestyle," it went downhill fast.I am so sick of rich men using their means to track down this one girl. It's creepy. If some man did that to me, I'd be filing a restraining order, not crawling into bed with him.I am also sick of the man trying to control every aspect of the woman's life before they have signed a contract. Calloway, you are Rome's boyfriend, not her Dom; you can't buy her a house because her apartment was broken into. Again, restraining order, not bed. And even when there's a contract between a Dom and a sub, there are soft and hard limits, a…

Good as Gone by Amy Gentry

Good as Gone is a Book of the Month Club book that has been sitting on my shelf for a little, like most of my books do before being read. However, I am glad that I waited to read it, as right now I'm in one of my mystery/suspense moods.
Eight years ago, in the middle of the night. Jane watcher her older sister Julie be kidnapped from her room at knife point. That was the last to be seen of Julie. Now, it is present day. Jane is in college, and her parents have formed a life around the void of their missing daughter. Of course it is not the same, how could it be; but it is a life nonetheless. Then, one evening as they are sitting down for dinner, the doorbell rings, and who should be at the door other than...drum roll...Julie! She passes out upon her mother opening the door and they rush her to the hospital. When Julie sits down with detectives, she tells a harrowing story of being sold to drug lords and sex traffickers and the years of abuse she faced at the hands of her captor; h…